September 20, 2014

Doctor Who Season Eight: Listen



Ok, I just saw this last night. And let me tell you, I was not expecting this to be a good episode. The synopsis even says, "When ghosts of past and future crowd into their lives, the Doctor and Clara are thrown into an adventure that takes them to the very end of the universe." It sounded to me like Utopia with the end of the universe deal; cliché. How very wrong I was.

Season eight has gotten better and better. Into the Dalek was rising up, but still not that great of an episode. I was almost impressed. The Robot of Sherwood nearly won me over, but there was still something missing. Listen filled in that gap.

The episode starts out a bit eerily with the Doctor talking to himself in the TARDIS. While he is talking, he comes up with a theory: What if when we're talking to ourselves we really aren't and we're not alone? What if there was a creature that was so good at hiding you couldn't even sense it? The one word 'Listen' appears on one of his chalkboards while he turns around. Ahhhhh what is this?! (By the way, I'm starting to like the intro. The music is a bit off but it's growing on me.)

The next scene is Clara with Danny Pink on their first date. I have to admit, I like the two together. Especially as the episode progresses. Though the date does not go well and Clara walks out. She finds the Doctor in her bedroom, who is making fun of her having three mirrors xD He needs her so he can find out what the invisible creature looks like. I think everyone at this point was like, "Doctor... uh, what creature...?" But he persists. He uses her to pilot the TARDIS via the telepathic thing without getting distracted. However, she does when her phone rings saying it's Danny. And then they end up at a children's home. The Doctor assumes it's still her, when it's obviously not because she had never been to a children's home. .___. Oh Doctor. It ends up being where Danny lived as Rupert Pink in the 90s. Clara goes up to him and talks about why he is the only one up. He says he had a dream about someone grabbing him. To prove there is nothing to be afraid of, Clara goes under the bed, Danny joining her. My heart was beating, oh, probably 15 times faster than normal. And then someone was on the bed o_o They both shimmy out and see there is something sitting on the bed covered with the red bed spread. One thing I am dying to know that the episode did not reveal is what exactly that thing was. It disappeared once they promised not to look at it and whaaat? I am more confused and freaked out than critical of this scene. I need to know!!

Then Clara goes back to Danny, apologizing for walking out. But then they have a fight D: (Oh, and the reason Danny doesn't remember her is because the Doctor used his sonic and he only remembers himself in the "dream".) Danny walks out this time instead of her. The TARDIS is in site outside the restaurant and supposedly the Doctor is in an orange space suit, motioning her to come. Annoyed, she follows, ranting at him about various things and then... it's not the Doctor, but Danny. But it's not Danny, it's this guy Orson Pink. Apparently a great-grandkid of her's in the future that ended up at the end of the universe in an experiment. I was thinking exactly what Clara was like: whatnothiscan'tbehappeningrightImarryDannyorsomethingorwhatisgoingonrightnow??!!

*takes deep breath* Phew. Besides that, apparently there's something out there on the end of the universe planet that is locked away. Like that creature.... Basically everything goes by in a blur when the Doctor stupidly opens the locked door and Orson saves him and he passes out. And after that, Clara uses the telepathic thing in the TARDIS to pilot them home... and ends up somewhere very unexpected. A boy is crying in a barn under the covers. Clara goes up the ladder to comfort him, but then hides under the bed when two people come. They mention that "he's been through a lot" and "he can't stop crying." And then the last line is something like "He'll never make a good Time Lord." The realization hit me that this was Gallifrey or somewhere near there. The boy gets up out of bed when he hears Clara and asks who's there. She grabs his ankle, ironically and tells him to go back up on the bed. He does, with hesitation and Clara joins him. Then she makes an awesome quote (I should make an art piece of it or something): "So listen. If you listen to nothing else, listen to this. You're always gonna be afraid even if you learn to hide it. Fear is like a companion. A constant companion, always there. But that's ok. Because fear can bring us together. Fear can bring you home. Fear makes companions of us all." And she also mentions he'll return to the barn one day and have to make a difficult choice. And oh my freaking God. It's the Doctor. When he was in his first incarnation but still a kid. I must know more gosh darn it!!

And then the episode ends with that, all suspenseful. Now I'm actually excited for the next episode :D I'm definitely liking Peter Capaldi! It took me until this episode to fully like him and for that I'm really happy. 8/10 to an 8.5/10 for this episode. I totally recommend watching it fellow Whovians!

Oh, and stay tuned for my next drawing and novelly thing~

No comments:

Post a Comment