February 13, 2015

The Snow Day In Which I Fainted

So. The day was last Monday, a snow day due to icy roads and, well, lots of snow. I woke up with a bad headache. I assumed I'd just eat my breakfast and drink some water and it would all be fine. Heh. I sat down, drank some water and had a bite or two of pancakes, and that didn't work. My headache only got worse. I remember moaning oh my god over and over and apparently I screamed and blacked out. I don't remember screaming, just like I don't remember screaming three years ago when I fainted after racing on my bike with my dad and brother. When I woke up after a few seconds, I found that I was on the floor (my dad lay me there- with a pillow). It was plain weird. After that I felt okay, not the best though. I lay down on the couch on my iPad watching a video on Koreans eating American food. That didn't make my stomach feel much better. Pretty soon, after attempting to nibble a bite of a cracker, I threw up all over the floor. I later found it was bile. Bleck. I definitely felt good after that, but not normal. I threw up again in the toilet. That's when my parents thought I should go to the doctors- urgent care anyway, since our doctor's office wasn't open on a crappy day like this. There, I waited until they called my parents and I. One of the guys gave me a Gatorade- the color of my throw up. That sure helped. And I threw up again into a container. After much examination, they thought I had appendicitis, but they weren't sure, so we should check with the emergency room.

I'm not sure if you know, but the emergency room people keep you there for HOURS on end, even when you're done. When I first got there, I sat down watching some hospital show in the lobby or whatever. I felt really dizzy, like I did in the car ride going there. Just as my dad was checking in, I passed out. I didn't realize I had at first, but when my dad shook me awake, I knew what had happened. And guess what? I threw up some more. I felt like I was fading in and out of reality. That's when one of the nurses came and got a wheel chair for me. I was too weak to walk much... though I had to walk to get up since the wheel chair couldn't fit through the doorway. That was actually pretty hard, and I know that might sound stupid. I lay down on the cushioned chair thing in any doctor's office or hospital. There, they questioned me about what happened, like in urgent care. They tested my blood pressure, and it was a little below as I recall. Then a nurse stabbed me with a needle (ok not stabbed but it hurt) and connected it with an IV- fluid tube. I was all back to normal after I went through the whole bag and watched random episodes of Family Guy and King of the Queens, both of which are not the best shows in the world. I had nothing in me, so I had to go through another IV- fluid bag so I could pee and leave xP Finally, I did. I re-read some of Paper Towns by John Green until my dad and I could leave at around 4:30. The doctors still didn't know what I had, but it wasn't appendicitis, thank god. They thought I might have been dehydrated. I barely had any time to drink when I woke up, so maybe I forgot to drink a lot the day before. I don't know. I might find out when I go for my check-up. Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment