July 8, 2014

Sneak Peak Number One

I thought I'd share a bit more of The Illusion, this time with chapter one. In the first chapter following the prologue, Gwen meets a strange girl who looks like she's hiding something. Here it is:

Gwen waited impatiently on the side of the curb, tapping her foot as she paced. She had been waiting near the city bus stop for half an hour. There was still no maroon minivan in sight. For what seemed the 153rd time, she checked her watch. The silvery hands pointed closer to the six.
“You have got to be kidding me,” She said as she bit the inside of her lip in frustration. Where is he?
Another ten minutes passed and not a maroon minivan drove by. Gwen finally sat down a nearby bench. Her father was supposed to pick her up a little under and hour ago and yet there wasn’t a trace of him. She had even tried calling him on one of the public phones, twice, though it was no use. He simply wasn’t answering.
Dad’s never this late, She thought. Maybe something happened on the throughway?
"Hey, excuse me! Gwen, do you know where to find the Illusions Inc. building?” A demanding voice asked from behind her. She was about to turn around when she saw that the source of the voice was right in front of her. A girl with dark brown hair down to her elbows stared at her with piercing green eyes. Her denim jacket seemed to drape over her arms, and strangely, they appeared scorched at the sleeves.
“Yeah, it’s a couple of hours from here, in Connecticut,” Gwen paused. “How do you know my name?”
“Did I say your name? I said that absentmindedly. I was thinking about, um, my friend across the street.” The girl pointed to a deli.
“No one lives in the deli.” Gwen said.
“I wasn’t pointing at the deli! I was pointing at the apartment next to it!”
“That’s an unused apartment.”
“Well, she just moved in.” The girl said confidently.
“Sure, whatever you say,” Gwen avoided her gaze from falling on the girl.
“I can’t believe it’s in Connecticut. After all this time I’ve been looking for it and it’s in Connecticut.” She muttered what must have been a cuss word under her breath, but it sounded more like gibberish to Gwen.
“What, you didn’t ask anyone else but me?”
“Why wouldn’t I ask you? I don’t trust anyone else around here.” The girl’s face went white. “Uh, sorry, I meant you seemed like a trustworthy sort of person.” Her green eyes darted around anxiously.
Something in the back of her mind was tugging at Gwen. She knew the girl from somewhere, right? But from where? No names or memories came to her. Wait, she remembered! The girl’s name was something like-
“Gwen!” Mr. Blackwell honked the car horn loudly, knocking her out of her thoughts.
She took another look over the strange, but familiar girl. “Well, nice meeting you.” She held up a hand as she opened the mini van’s back seat doors. The girl seemed to be practically dancing with the fake smile hung up on her mouth.


So, how do you think that is peeps? :-) Not a completely done chapter one, but almost done. Camp NaNo helps a lot with my writing, thankfully. August will be the month I look it over and organize it. But for now- write as much as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment