July 7, 2014

Camp NaNoWriMo

Gosh! I've been busy writing. And plus Google was being a bit difficult with me signing in and all... anyways, since I've been talking about my novel and all, I should introduce it. Novel, you. You, novel. There. Ok, ok, a synopsis.

The Illusion, my book, is about a girl named Gwen Blackwell who creates a fake world to preserve the Earth. In the process, she forgets who she is, and during the novel she remembers must decide if she should preserve Earth more while the old Illusion fails, or let the people see the destruction they have caused. Phew. I think I explained it right ;)

I'm trying to get down more than 20,000 words this month, and so far I have 4k. The 4th was busy, so don't blame me. My work is unfortunately scattered around the computer and my iPad, but hey, at least I get some more words down. I'll give you guys a sneak peak on my new character, Dennis Nix, a 18 year old that works with the rivals in my story, Illusion Inc. Here it is:
Dennis sighed as he flipped over one of the business cards. On it was a picture of a woman with long, strawberry blonde hair with rows of books behind her. Next to the photo were words that read 'Alyssa's Book Shop' and under, 'Everyone's welcome to sit back and read once in awhile'.
“I wish.” He muttered under his breath. He folded it in half, then in half again and stuffed it into the cup holder besides him. Thinking better of it, Dennis stuffed it to the very bottom instead.
“Problem?” A man sitting next to him asked, his grayed bushy eyebrows raised.
“It's nothing.” Dennis replied. The old man rubbed his chin.
“Are you sure about that? It doesn't seem like it. Perhaps... a girl problem?”
“I told you, it's no big deal,” He said, slumping into the cushioned seat.
“All right, if you say so,” The man shrugged and sipped his cup of latte. Dennis reached for crumpled business card while he thought the man wasn't looking.
“Ah ha!” The old man snatched the card from him and flattened it out on his lap. “So it is a girl problem.”
“Ok, yes, it's a girl problem,” He said, his teeth clenched.

Ah, Dennis. So socially awkward. I'm sure you guys will like him, once this gets out there in the big ocean of book stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment