August 11, 2014

Bouckville Antique Week

So, today I went to the Bouckville Antique Week. It wasn't just any antique sale, however. It covered fields upon fields! Like this photo above shows in bird's eye view. The biggest antique sale apparently. And I loved it! Though at first I couldn't find anything I liked at a reasonable price. I was aiming for finding cool wooden carvings. I did, for $75 and higher. Darn. I kept searching for a cool book or wood carving, something at a reasonable price. Then I stumbled upon this:
I absolutely love birds, and I live in New York so I thought this was perfect. And it was in great condition! I looked for the publication date. 1912. It's 102 years old this year, and it looks much younger! Amazing. Now I got to search for Wild Flowers of New York, as I instantly searched this up on the Internet when my family and I got back home. It's interesting, especially for the bird watcher and appreciator of the old fashioned.

Then there was that wood carving I was searching for. I thought I'd find something cool, but useful. And I did! There was a tent with all wooden sculptures and carvings of animals, all for around a few dollars. They had frogs that held sticks in their mouths so you could skim it across their backs, which made it sound exactly like a frog! And there were pigs and crickets that did the same thing. I was tempted to get a cricket (I may get one later, who knows) but I especially liked one of the owl whistles. Here's a picture of it:
It was one where you could blow into it and it sounded like its animal it appeared to be. (There were ducks and elephants as well) $9. Awesome! Though it isn't completely an antique, I still love it. You can do all sorts of owl calls with it, like the Barred Owl or Great Horned. Sorry, I think my bird nerd is showing. Yep, it definitely is.

No comments:

Post a Comment